Financial Aid

How To Apply For Financial Aid:

Financial Aid information is available to all prospective and currently enrolled students who qualify and enroll in an approved career and technical education training program. The Financial Aid offered at BBTC consists of the Title IV Federal Pell Grant, Florida Bright Futures Scholarship, private scholarships and assistance for targeted populations. Research for scholarships can be completed online at or

Students who wish to apply for Financial Aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) worksheet. Students must go online to (Students are welcome to come in to the Student Services Office and complete the application online).

Steps To Apply For Financial Aid Guidelines

If selected for verification by the USDOE the student must provide additional documentation which may include income documentation as well as other documentation that must be provided to the school before an award can be made, if eligible. NOTE: As of July 15, 2012 only a tax return transcript will be acceptable from the IRS. Satisfactory academic progress must be maintained in order to receive financial aid. Satisfactory academic progress is defined as student completion of 70 percent or above of the competencies as defined in the course guidelines for that period of enrollment, coursework completion at an acceptable level of performance and attendance within the guidelines stated in the Career and Technical Education attendance policy.

NOTE: It is recommended that the FAFSA be submitted for processing a minimum of two weeks prior to expected enrollment date.

Complete and submit your free application at for federal student aid. Apply for a FSA ID number at


If you haven’t logged in to a Federal Student Aid site (such as or since May 10, 2015, you will need to create an FSA ID before you can log on in the future. This FSA ID will allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically. If you are providing parent information on the FAFSA, your parent must also apply for a FSA ID. Keep your FSA ID number in a secure place. You might need to use this number in the future. Gather the following information before you apply:

  • Your Social Security number and your parent’s Social Security numbers, if you are providing parent information.
  • Your driver’s license number, if you have one.
  • Your Alien Registration Number (green card) or a permanent residence card if you are not a U.S. citizen.
  • Proof of high school/GED® completion.

Sign your application with your PSA ID number and your parents’ FSA ID number, if you are providing parent information. Your application will be processed, and you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) by email or postal mail. Wait 4 to 5 business days and contact the financial aid department to finalize your financial aid. You can contact the Federal Government at 800-433-3243 for help with your application or contact the Financial Aid department at BBTC 850-838-2545 x235.

Tips To Complete Your Application:

Before you complete your FAFSA application, you need to have filed your tax return. You will need to wait up to two weeks for the IRS income information to be available for electronic IRS tax return filers, and up to eight weeks for paper IRS tax return filers. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool on your application is the best and easiest way to provide accurate tax information. Use it to transfer your IRS income information into your spouses. If you are unable or choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in FAFSA and your application is selected for verification, you will need to submit an IRS tax return transcript to the school, not a photocopy, of the income tax return. To obtain an IRS tax return transcript, go to and click on the “Get Transcript Online” link, or call 800-908-9946. You may also go to our local IRS office at 1211 Governor’s Square Blvd., Tallahassee, FL 32301. Make sure to request the “IRS tax return transcript”, not the “IRS tax account transcript.” You will need your social security number, date of birth, and the address on file with the IRS. If you are married and you and your spouse filed separate tax returns, you will not be able to use the Data Retrieval Tool. You must submit an IRS tax return transcript for both you and your spouse. If you get federal student aid based on incorrect information, you will have to pay it back. You may also have to pay fines and fees.

Student Aid Eligibility:

  • Have a high school diploma or a GED
  • Be working toward a certificate in an eligible program
  • Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Register with the Selective Service, if required
  • Have a valid social security number
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress once in school
  • Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant
  • Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes

Even if you are ineligible for federal aid, you should complete the FAFSA because you may be eligible for nonfederal aid from states and private institutions.If you are convicted of a drug-related offense after you submit the FAFSA, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility. The following sources of educational financial assistance are available to BBTC students:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Bright Futures Scholarships
  • Community Based Scholarships
  • Vocational Rehab
  • CareerSource Assistance
  • BBTC Scholarships
  • Veteran's Educational Benefits